What you shouldn’t be placing in a Storage Unit
While you are renting a storage unit you need to familiarize yourself with what you can and cannot store. While the majority of your items should be OK, there are a few that could cause damage to your items as well as the surrounding units. Logan Self Storage can provide you with a unit as long as you stray away from the items listed below.
- Plants cannot thrive in a storage unit. They need fresh air and sunlight in order to grow. Additionally they could attract unwanted guests, such as bugs and rodents, which can cause damage to the other items you are storing in your unit.
- Living or kenneling in a storage unit is not allowed. While a storage unit may be cheaper than room and board for you or your pets, it is not suitable for living in. It can be hazardous to the health and the well-being of your pets. If you do place your animal in a storage unit you may be charged with animal cruelty.
- Cash should be placed in a bank account or safely in your home. Having cash placed in your storage unit causes too much risk of a break in or a loss in money if the cash were to be destroyed due to unexpected water.
- Firearms, munitions, gunpowder and explosives are also not allowed. The probability of something going wrong with any of these items is too high for them to be placed in storage. If an accident does occur it can cause harm to your items as well as others who have units in the facility.
- Most foods are also prohibited in storage units. When food is placed in a storage unit it can attract unwanted guests and have the potential to rot. It can cause extensive damage to the items in your storage unit as well as the units next to yours. One exception to this rule is canned goods.
- Hazardous material and waste storage should not be placed in your storage unit. If it’s corrosive, chemical, odorous, noxious or toxic, it can’t go in storage either. This includes lead paint, asbestos, urea formaldehyde, polychlorinated biphenyl, petroleum, petroleum products and constituents, methane, medical waste, toxic substances and related materials as defined in several federal acts and state statutes.
Storage units can be very useful when you just don’t have the space available in your home for various items. As long as you avoid storing the items listed above you can get the most out of your new unit at Logan Self Storage. Call us today to learn about our available units at our safe and secure facility.