Properly Storing your Mattress and Bedframe
- Published on
- Written By GroFire
- Whether you are moving, traveling, or upgrading your furniture you can rely on Logan Self Storage to give you the storage space you need to keep all of your belongings safe and secure. When preparing to move your mattress and bedframe into storage you need to make sure you have it clean, disassembled, and protected. Below are the instructions for preparing your bedframe and mattress for its stay at our facility.
- Thoroughly Clean the Mattress and Bedframe
- Before placing your items in storage you will want to make sure everything is thoroughly cleaned. The easiest way to clean a mattress is to vacuum it on both sides to remove as much dirt and dust as you can. Follow up by using an upholstery cleaner. To properly clean your bedframe you can just use soap and water to remove any dirt or dust. Make sure everything is completely dry before placing it in your storage unit to avoid damage and/or mold.
- To make the move from your home to your storage unit easier you will want to disassemble your bedframe as much as you can. Make sure you keep track of all of the parts and take note of where they belong. The easiest way to do this is to take pictures of where each screw, nut, and bolt belongs before removing it. Place all the small parts of the bedframe in a plastic bag and attach it to the bedframe itself so you don’t end up misplacing vital parts.
- While your mattress and bedframe is in storage you will want to take the proper precautions in protecting them from dust or moisture. High quality mattress bags can be purchased fairly cheaply. Make sure there are no rips or tears in the mattress bag. Avoid using plastic covers if you can. These tend to trap moisture and cause a buildup of mildew. To cover and protect your bedframe you can use sheets or drop cloths.
- Placement in your Storage Unit
- When placing your mattress in storage you will want to make sure you have enough space to lay it flat. Placing it in your storage unit on its side can damage the inner workings of your mattress and warp it. Elevate the mattress up off the floor of the storage units by using pallets or a tarp. Place your bedframe in a place that will keep it from falling or getting damaged.
- Now that you have made all of your preparations to your mattress and bedframe you are ready to place it in a storage unit at Logan Self Storage for as long as you need. For more information on our facility and the rates of our storage units, check out our website or give us a call today.